Tuesday, July 16, 2013

networking...

well... as a twenty-something in any city should probably try at least once in their life, I went to a networking event last night. It was a really lovely event, run by what seems like a very wonderful team of marketing experts.

The speakers were absolutely phenomenal. These people were very inspiring, but still... I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. I find it very difficult to connect with people where they only reason I know you is because we went to a place to meet. It seems a little odd. However, on one of the speakers blogs, he recommended trying to network at Starbucks. Easier said than done but he had a point, why are we so afraid to talk to each other? Why do we look at people as if they are crazy when they simply want to have a conversation with us. On the other hand, people who are good at it, seem really good at it. Maybe just practice makes perfect.

A couple of weeks ago, a woman came up to me on the subway platform. She simply complimented my dress. I was pretty uncomfortable, I don't get a lot of people (particularly women) just walking up and offering up compliments. I said thanks, I actually just got the dress that day and told her where I got it from. I talked about her dress and she told me she was getting rid of it. She was planning on moving to Australia for a year, having lived in Australia for 6 months, I couldn't help but get excited about the conversation. I asked her about her plans and she said she wasn't sure yet, and she started asking me lots of questions. On our short subway ride, we exchanged numbers. We haven't spoken since but I guess to network I would reach out to her? I mean, isn't that how networking is done?

Again... wish me luck!


Here is the link for the "Network at Starbucks": http://raeallan.com/2013/07/11/networking-are-you-making-the-most-of-your-third-place-i-e-starbucks/

No comments:

Post a Comment