Friday, September 6, 2013

first thursday at the ago

So, I haven't been to the AGO in years. Like most people, the last time I was there was on some long ago-forgotten field trip, long before the renovations. I'm not a huge art gallery fan, I always feel like I'm not appreciating the art enough but I heard about First Thursday, it sounded more up my alley. 

The first Thursday of every month the AGO re-opens at 7pm - there is special exhibits, bars, food and live entertainment. Tickets are $15 at the door and $12+$2 service fee online in advance. The regular price for the gallery is $19.50, so it is worth it if you don't want to spend the entire day at the gallery. Drinks were what you'd pay at a regular bar, about $6-$7/piece, depending on what you wanted. The food was small, appetizer sized - we had cripsy noodles and chicken as well as a steamed bun with chicken, it was $5 total. They also had a selection of desserts. It definitely wasn't a meal but it was delicious and a good amount just to munch on. Only the first and second floor are open during this time and as we were walking around they closed part of the second floor off, at about 9:45 - it seemed a little odd. The gallery was pretty busy and expect to stand in line, outside, even if you've purchased tickets in advance. It is a 19+ event but the crowd was definitely a mix. Art galleries have the reputation of being very quiet and a little empty (unless there is something famous on display) and so it was interesting to see basically the complete opposite, loud music and a lot of people, a real mix of people as well. 

As I said, I hadn't been to the AGO in years and I must say, I really enjoyed it. They even had a few stations where you could "create-your-own" pieces. We did one, related to their Ai Weiwei exhibit, where we created posters of what we stand for. 
Selection of "I Stand For" Posters
I would definitely recommend getting out to a First Thursday, it was fun and something new to do in the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment